Monday, December 13, 2010

The End [of the semester] Is Near

I had to add that extra little bracketed phrase there because I don't want to tempt fate and get run down by a Vespa tomorrow. Anyway.

I have:
- 4 (useable) days
- 3 exams
- 2 papers
- 1 more Christmas shopping run
- 2 bags to pack
- 3 special people to say goodbye to
- 8 bus rides
- 4 metro rides
- 1 cab ride
- 1 flight

until I am back in the USA. Now that I know that it's almost over, it's gotten very heavy very fast, but in a very odd way. The other night at dinner, Isabel sat down and basically said, "Listen, dudes. You'll come back here some day. And when you do, you will come over and we will all eat dinner together here. Other girls have come back,  and you will too." That paired with the fact that Luis is an active Skype-r makes it all the more clear that it's not a goodbye forever. It's not. I am going to miss them so much, but I can always find them again easily, even if it's just over the internet. Once I took the human-ness out of saying goodbye, it's just leaving a city. Granted, this city is going to be very hard to leave. I will miss the sidewalks, the buildings, the cafes, the bars, the food, the people, the language, the pride, the culture, the language, and the way it all makes me feel like I am tremendous and insignificant at the same time. I know I'll return, but never again will I be in Barcelona quite as I am now, a stranger and a local, a familiar face and an outsider, someone who doesn't belong but can tag along just the same.

So all that leaving sucks. But with leaving comes returning, and can I just say, oh baby Jesus I am so excited to see all the people and places I love in the USA again.  Like, for real. I would go on, but then I'd get too mushy, so suffice it to say, I freaking love you guys and can't wait to see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment