Sunday, October 24, 2010

Halfway

There are some nights you hang out with a group of sweet Catalans for an hour and a half in a bar, go dancing with your friends, and come home the same time you wake up for school on weekdays. And then other nights you stay in wearing your stepdad's old pj pants, drinking coffee with your host family while watching a dubbed movie about Aidan Quinn running around in a ridiculous get-up in the middle ages. I mean, I'm no historian, but I'm pretty sure they didn't have sequins or bedazzlers back then. Just sayin'.

Today marks the halfway point of the semester. It's come to my attention that the goals I took with me from the US may have been a little ridiculous. But new priorities come up, and the things that once seemed like the main point of coming here have become less important. I guess that's how pretty much everything in the history of mankind goes though. I've realized that there's no way I can do all I set out to. And you know, that's fine. I treasure the time I spend with people more than any site I've ever seen. The crazy times, and yes, the quiet Aidan Quinn times too, those are the things that have real staying power.

So it's odd to think about leaving. I am going to be sad to go. But going back to the US will probably give me 897 excitement-induced heart attacks. I miss everyone there, and I think of them often.

No comments:

Post a Comment